Saturday 7 January 2012

Childhood gaming memories : Part 1

I have loved gaming for as long as I can remember. Most of my childhood memories are related to video games, my favourite ones always come from visiting family in the school holidays.

I'm not sure why I thought of this this-morning but it made me smile so I thought I would share it.


One Christmas me,  my mum and my dad were visiting family here in Wiltshire, as we did every Christmas. I'm not sure which year it was but I was around 6 or 7 years old. We had just got the new PGA Tour Golf for the SNES. Someone had decided to start a tournament after our Christmas dinner, so we split into 2 teams - Girls vs Boys. Me, my mum and my aunty verses my 2 cousins and my uncle. Usually golf would have been the last thing my mum and aunty would have played but when it comes to a bit of christmas competition they were really into it.


We played a few rounds, the guys used the correct method of selecting the appropriate club , adjusting the angle of the swing, calculating the wind speed against the direction of the swing and using their knowledge of golfing.

We aimed for the hole and smacked it as far as possible. Simple.

A while later and with much fun we finally caught up to the guys and overtook them - we were in the lead ! This was a great feeling , beating them at their own game. It became much more intense as we neared the last few courses in the game

One of the guys was carefully lining up their next shot, it was getting really serious, after all they couldn't let 2 women and a young girl beat them at golf! Much concentration was going into this shot.
The bar along the bottom of the screen was moving side to side waiting to be stopped on the red line for a perfect shot. In the background someone had opened the back door in the kitchen, fast footsteps could be heard above us, their big black dog - Cola came running down at the sound of the back door opening , she ran into the living room where we were all sat around the TV -anxiously waiting for him to take his turn. Cola runs past infront of us, sprinting towards the back door when disaster strikes! As she runs past the TV blacks out.....

.... "AARRRGGGHHH ! COLA'S JUST STEPPPED ON THE CONSOLES RESET BUTTON!!! NOOOO "!!!

We'll never know who would have won that game, as we were in the lead at the time I still say that we technically beat the boys but they say as the game wasn't finished no-one won... Strangely that they didn't want a rematch !

Maybe this christmas we will find a new game to beat them at.


No comments:

Post a Comment